JRN552: Graduate Media Law
Everything you need to know about this course is found here. This includes course learning objectives, textbooks, topics, assignments and course policies.
The weekly lessons are available on the Quinnipiac Blackboard site, as required by QU Online. The current week's module is available to see below with previous ones lower on the page.
Module 1: The U.S. Court System & Prior Restraint
- Understand the role and the structure of the U.S. Court system
- Identify the path of a lawsuit through the above court system
- Understand and recognize the uniqueness of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution by tracing the law's history and theories surrounding its importance
- Identify modern challenges to the First Amendment
- Identify and understand foundational cases of PRIOR RESTRAINT (censorship)
- Understand "time, place & manner" regulations and why they exist
- Detail the cases assigned to be briefed
- Understand what happened in and the long-term ramifications of the Pentagon Papers affair and the Edward Snowden case
Mod 1 Activities
In order to achieve the learning objectives, students must complete the following:
Mod 1 Cases (to be briefed)
See instructions for how to brief a case on Blackboard and use the outline as an example to brief the following: